Male Health Fertility
Infertility is when a couple cannotconceive a childwhile trying for12 months without implementingbirth control measures. Infertility affects15% of couplesand can result from many factors, usuallydue to a partner's reproductive system disorder.
Infertility can be primary or secondary. Primary,when the couple cannotto conceive at all.Secondary, if the couple has conceived once but cannot conceive again.
Apart from medical conditions, some risk factors can predispose an individual to infertility; these include:
- Chemotherapy-reduces sperm count and causes ovarian failure
- Smoking–affects fertility in both sexes equally and may affect sperm quality
- Radiation-if exposed for a longer duration, may alter the genital functions.
- STIs-sexually transmitted infections can cause inflammation of the reproductive tract
- Age-with advancing age, sperm count and hormones decrease.
- Other risk factors may include obesity, stress, depression, alcohol consumption, nutrition, and lack of exercise.
Researchers estimate that fertility issues caused by a disorder in the man versus in the woman are 50:50. Researchers do not know the cause in about half of the cases of infertility caused by a condition in the man.However, the known causes include the following:
- Poor sperm health
- Quantity of semen produced
- Any abnormality in the seminal fluid.
- Decreased sperm motility
- Abnormal sperm shape
- Sperm count below 15 million/ml
- Testicular blockages
- Testicular cancer, injury, or surgery.
- Genetic factors
- Radiation therapy side-effects(may affect sperm shape and number)
- Hormonal imbalance (low testosterone levels)
The path to parenthood can be challenging sometimes but don’t feel desolate; you are not alone!Some of these symptoms are reversible, and we have witnessed this in clinic. We are here to support you every step of the way so you can, in time, have your Bundle of joy.So book a FREE Discovery call now;our skilled professionals will gladlyhelp you. You deserve the best!