Low libido or hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) is a marked decrease in sex drivein men. Although libido varies from person to person and fluctuates with age, in the case of the actual low-libido condition, a person may become uninterested in sex.
Libido is a complex biological phenomenon influenced by hormones (testosterone) and neurotransmitters (dopamine). Some psychological and social factors also affect a man's libido. Men have no set level of libido; however, if low libido is causing distress, it is better to consult a physician.
What are the Causes of Low-Libido?
There are multiple factors affecting the sex drive of a man. Low libido can result from learned suppression of sex drive or decreased sexual desire after years of healthy sex drive
- Hormonal imbalance (low testosterone levels)
- Relationship issues
- Mental health conditions (depression, anxiety, trauma)
- Medical conditions
- Medications (blood pressure medicines, beta-blockers)
- Decreased libido with age due tolate-onset hypogonadism
- A sedentary lifestyle like alcohol, lack of exercise, and eating junk food.
Symptoms of low libido in Men:
The following symptoms suggest low libido.
- The decreased desire for sexcompared to regular interest in sex.
- Feeling worried about one’s current sexual activity
- Feeling low sex drive regardless of the type of sexual activity
- Difficulty having or maintaining an erection for a long time.
- Mood swings and fatigue.
Is There Any Cure of Low-Libido?
Understanding the actual cause of low libido is important in treating it. Treatment of underlying conditions like diabetes or heart disease improves libido.
Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is an ideal treatment for low libido. TRT restores testosterone levels which alleviates the symptoms of low libido.
Certain medications like phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (PDE5 inhibitors)can increase erectile function and sexual desire in men.
Psychological counselling can be effective if any psychological or social issue leads to low libido.
Lifestyle modifications like diet, regular exercise, good sleep, and stress management can be.
Low libido can be a challenging condition to treat, but certain effective treatment options are available. A combination of professional counselling, medications, and lifestyle medication can be very useful in eliminating low libido. Contact us now for consultations and professional healthcare advice